Thursday, September 30, 2021

WILLA SNAP AND THE CLOCKWERK BOY

 I buy a lot of books on Amazon. This one is the best purchase I've made! I am a slow reader. It can take me  4-5 weeks to finish a book (mainly because I get distracted by reading other things). Willa Snap and the Clockwerk Boy is 348 pages long but I  couldn't put it down. It has everything: endearing characters, mysteries that lead to more mysteries, a wonderful and imaginative world to explore … or rather to settle, not entirely comfortably, into.


 It would be easy to say that Willa is a steampunk Harry Potter or Enola Holmes, but that's not true. Where Rowling works with traditional magic and Springer with Victorian literature, Mr Due has created his own world that is not steampunk, or magic, or superscience, though it has elements of all of those. Plus dragons and talking cats.


 I was carrying the book with me and was at the hospital when I got to the hideous surprise at the beginning of Chapter Eighteen, and was so stunned that I had to tell half the people there about it.


 Due (through Willa) doesn't tell a story ~ he takes you to Grandeur and its different burgs, winds you through his world of  clockwerks, Idiots, Idiot Geniuses, elefantkin, BrainBoxes, WatchitMapCallits, minidirigies, BrainRents and bippies When the time machine starts up, all its whirling, spinning, careening parts got so confusing that I forgot I was reading about it and just experienced it. I felt full after dining at The Jolly Rajah's Man-o'-War o' Pancakes.


 And then the final chapter, where we learn that all this has been a setup for the real story. I'm saving up my dolleurs for book 2. Can't wait to return to Grandeur!





No comments: